Friday, January 18, 2008

Computers down!



Went to a doctors appointment today. I usually go at 8am. The doctors tend to run behind and if I'm the 1st patient of the day they can't be behind. Anyway, the doors are usually unlocked at 7:45 or so. I pull up and there are three or four people milling around the door. At about 8 they open the door. I walk in and try to check in. Apparently the computers and phones were down. They couldn't check me in, they couldn't put me in a room. Fifteen minutes later, they put me in a room and found some forms to manually check me in. The doctor comes in a few minutes later, he's obviously flustered.

How are you doing? Did they check your sugar today? No of course not, the computer would have told them to do that. Sorry we have no chart, we're all paperless now. What was your last Hgb A1C? your memory is better than mine... an altogether unsettling visit. He's a really good doctor and actually remembered a lot off the top of his head.

Funny how relient we are on computers in the medical field these days. I know I couldn't do my job very well without a computer

Oh, Happy New Year

1 comment:

Sue said...

I can almost not do my job at all without a computer. Computer downtime is hell on earth in the lab. Not only does it take us about 5 times longer to do everything, the phone starts ringing incessantly with angry docs and nurses looking for results which just slows us down even more.

and you're getting tagged with this stupid meme thing I got today.

A: The rules of the game are posted at the beginning. B: Each player answers the questions about themselves. C: At the end of the post, the player then tags 3 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog.

Oh yeah, and you should blog more.