Tuesday, January 18, 2005

kitty litter

So the other day, I'm helping out in the cardiac room. They're done with the cardiac cases. it's a rare light day. So there's an add on case that needs to be done urgently. A woman has an infection in her abdomen. I let the anesthesia attending know i was going to work on a presentation for a conference since there wasn't another cardiac case. My curiosity gets the best of me and I start looking up this next lady on the computer to help the resident in the room out. So the chart says she got the infection from being scratched by one of her two cats... now i'm thinking that this must be some dirty cat, or some really dirty woman. So i'm going through the notes. In the admission note... there are describing this poor woman's case.... scratched by cat blah blah blah... then they get to the physical exam. General appearance -- usually something about the patient's in no apparent discomfort, well nourished etc. -- this chart said "smells like kitty litter" So I warn the anesthesia attending. He's wondering if that should be in the chart at all... it's not a medical description. I argue that it's a fact... not a opinion so it deserves to be in the chart. He goes and sees the patient. I see him in the hall later. and ask him if she smells like kitty litter... He answers "little bit..." I couldn't help but bust out laughing...

No comments: